Man Using Smartphone While Driving




Summer Car Insurance Tips For Covering College Students

When their teens grow up and go off to college, many parents struggle to understand how to make sure their kids have health insurance and car insurance during this transition to adulthood. It can be hard to figure out how long they can stay on your family plan and when they need to get their own policy, and how do you handle situations where the college student is going out of state part of the year but will be home for the summer? Here are some tips on how to handle auto insurance in various summer situations for your students. 

How Long Can Your Kids Stay On The Family’s Auto Insurance Plan?

There is no mandated age at which a grown up child has to come off the family plan. Check with your individual auto insurance company for their policy but most of the time your child can stay under your plan as long as they live with you even after they graduate from school. It’s a grey area but typically insurance companies like to see them get their own policy if they move out or own their own car after they are no longer a dependent. Your child that lives out of state part of the year to attend college is still considered a dependant. 

College Students Living At Home Or Going To School In-State

If your college student will be living at home or getting their own place but attending school full time they can still be considered a dependent. They can own their own car or drive a relative's car. Always make sure to check in with your insurance broker to update any changes with cars and drivers. A young adult that owns their own car and has moved out on their own will typically need their own plan at that point, even if they are in college but again, it’s a grey area. Sometimes they will be allowed to stay on your plan which can be a considerable savings since young drivers with their own policy pay hefty premiums.  

College Students Living Out Of State But Home For The Summer

College students who will be driving their own car or a borrowed car out of state during the academic school year but will be  home for the summers are dependents and will have their auto insurance in the state they are a dependent in (where the parents live). Make sure to let your insurance company know that you have an out of state driver in college. If they will only be driving during the summer you can also let the insurance provider know that, you can sometimes get a reduced rate for summer driving only, especially if the car will be garaged during the rest of the year. 

Posted 2:27 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Yelp YouTube InstagramPinterest TrustedChoice
© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder