Vehicle in Road at Golden Hour



How To Get Car Insurance When Your License Is Suspended 

A driver’s license can be suspended for many reasons, some more serious than others. A few of the most common ways to get your driver’s license suspended are; reckless driving, hit and run accidents, driving while intoxicated, having too many points against your license, and devloping a physical impairment like seizers or vision problems. If you own a car then one requirement to getting your license back may be proof of insurance, which can be difficult to obtain or keep once your license is suspended. 

Keep The Coverage You Have

First of all, if you already have car insurance before your license gets suspended (which you should if you own a car) then do not cancel it. Keeping insurance is easier than obtaining a brand new policy with a suspended license. A gap in policies can also cause your future premiums to be much higher. Many people wonder if they can at least drop their coverage to the bare minimum since they won’t be driving. If you have a leased car or carry a car loan then that will not be an option for you as the lender requires full coverage. If you own the vehicle free and clear then you can drop the coverage to the lowest plan premium option available to you.

Getting New Coverage 

If you didn’t have insurance or you get dropped from your insurance company then you’ll need to obtain a new policy. Insurance companies don’t like issuing policies to risky drivers, even if they can charge higher premiums. There are a few companies that specialize more in high-risk insurance such as The General, Acceptance, and Titan. 

Staying with one of the larger-name insurance companies might be a little tricky. Some might take you if you apply for and obtain a restricted license. A restricted license lets you drive only to certain places like the to work, to the doctor or to court dates. Your ability to get a restricted license will depend on your state and the reason your license was suspended to start with. 

If a restricted license is not an option then you can apply for SR-22 insurance. You’ll need this option if your license was suspended for something serious like reckless driving or DWI/DUI. Many standard insurance companies can, but won’t, issue this form that proves you have insurance coverage in your state. More often than not you will have to get a SR-22 form from a non-standard insurance carrier as mentioned above.

Posted 11:32 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Yelp YouTube InstagramPinterest TrustedChoice
© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder