The average cost of car insurance in Tulsa is slightly lower than the national average. Drivers in Tulsa pay an average of $823.51 a year, compared to the U.S. average of $889.01. The specific rate you will pay depends on a variety of factors, some of which are out of your control. The factors in your control, however, can be used to get cheaper car insurance rates.
Common factors that influence car insurance rates include:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Your driving history
- Value and model of vehicle
- Coverage limits
- Credit history
Your age and gender are two factors you can't control. Car insurance for drivers below the age of 25 is higher than older drivers, and men tend to have higher car insurance premiums than women. While you can't control these two facts, you can control others.
Your driving history heavily influences car insurance rates. Drivers with a bad driving record (such as multiple tickets, driving violations or DUIs) must pay higher insurance rates because they're seen as more likely to file an insurance claim. The type of vehicle you insure matters, as well. Certain vehicles have a higher rate of being stolen, which makes them more expensive to insure. The same can be said for expensive vehicles and vehicles that are modified for speed.
In order to lower your car insurance rates, there are a few steps you can take:
- Practice defensive driving. Drive carefully to avoid accidents and traffic violations. Even multiple speeding tickets can increase your insurance rates.
- Insure cheaper, safer vehicles. Vehicles with high safety ratings are not only good for protection, but also cost less to insure. Avoid sports cars and brand-new cars.
- Build your credit score. You may build your credit through paying off credit cards and setting up auto drafts for bills.
- Cut out unnecessary coverage. This doesn't mean you should only have the minimal liability coverage required by the state of Oklahoma. But it can be prudent to prune some coverage options that no longer pay their weight. For example, if you have an older vehicle that's paid off, you may not want comprehensive coverage. Speak with a Cheapest Auto Insurance agent about what type of coverage at which amount that your vehicle really needs.
- Search for discounts. There are plenty of discounts available for all types of drivers, such as Good Driver discounts, Mature Driver discounts and Good Student Discounts.
You may also save money by getting a quote online, as it can cut out the filing and service fees.
Get A Quote